Scripts must be: a) for a 22-minute comedy television pilot; b) written in English and be between 25 and 35 (letter-sized) pages long in a proper screen-writing format (foreign-language entries are ineligible); c) wholly original, (e.g. NOT adapted from books, plays or any other source material and NOT a “spec” of existing television programs or treatments); d) copyrighted or registered; e) not encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party; and f) submitted under the entrant’s legal name as indicated on such copyright or WGA registration, and as evidenced by entrant’s valid government-issued identification.
Scripts must not be: a) currently under development at a network, studio, or major production company; b) currently submitted to any other contest or festival; or c) previously optioned, purchased or produced.
Multiple entrants may not submit the same script; provided however; a maximum of two (2) writers is allowed per entry. If there are two writers with respect to any script (as set forth in registration/copyright materials), all writers must agree among themselves upon a single individual who will be the entrant with respect to that script. All writers must be identified in the entry materials. If any finalist’s script was written by multiple writers (but not more than a team of 2 co-writers), both writers must sign, and agree to be bound by, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release and Indemnification, the Fox Broadcasting Company (“FOX”) Development Agreement and any other documents that NYTVF and/or FOX may reasonably require. Payment of the Grand Prize will be split equally among all credited writers for the winning script. NYTVF and FOX are not responsible for any disputes or disagreements among co-writers with respect to any Contest entry.
There is no fee to submit. By submitting an entry to the Contest, each entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and acknowledges that the decisions of the NYTVF shall be binding and final in all matters relating to the Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are age 18 and over and not a minor in his/her state of residence, who are not currently engaged in any contractual commitments or relationships preventing them from entering into an exclusive development deal with FOX. The NYTVF reserves the right to verify and confirm entrants’ ages and compliance with other eligibility requirements. Any individual who has, within six (6) months prior to the start date of the Contest or thereafter, been employed by or performed services (including but not limited to as an employee, consultant, independent contractor or intern) for NYTVF, FOX or any other person or entity responsible for sponsoring, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, or any of their respective parent, subsidiary, affiliated or successor entities, and immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to enter or win. Entries created or funded by broadcast networks, cable networks or studios are ineligible.
3. WINNER SELECTION: Preliminary judging will take place from the time the Entry/Submission Period ends through and including June 25, 2012. The judging panel, selected by the NYTVF in its sole discretion, will determine twenty-five (25) finalists, based on the following criteria, weighted equally: (i) originality; (ii) creativity; (iii) humor; and (iv) overall impression. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based solely on the criteria of: overall impression. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. The selected finalists will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail on or about June 25, 2012. Finalists will be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility, Release and Indemnification, FOX Development Agreement and any other documents that NYTVF and/or FOX may reasonably require. The Development Agreement will detail terms associated with further development of the submitted script and/or additional projects and will become active and legally binding on the Grand Prize Winner. If any potential finalist does not reply to any notification within forty-eight (48) hours, or fails to return any required documentation within five (5) business days of delivery to the potential finalist, such potential finalist may be disqualified in the discretion of NYTVF and an alternate potential finalist may be selected. Potential finalists CANNOT proceed to the next round until all such properly executed and notarized documents are returned. NYTVF shall not be responsible in any way for any delayed, lost, stolen or misdirected notification or other communication from or to NYTVF. From among the twenty-five (25) confirmed finalists, FOX will select one Grand Prize Winner (whether a single individual or a team of 2 co-writers), applying the judging criteria specified above. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on or about October 27, 2012.
4. PRIZE: One (1) Grand Prize Winner (whether a single individual or a team of 2 co-writers) will receive a single, lump-sum payment of $25,000 from FOX and the FOX Development Agreement signed by Winner (whether a single individual or a team of 2 co-writers) will become enforceable and binding. The approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $25,000. Grand Prize will be awarded if properly claimed. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive prize permitted, except in the discretion of NYTVF, which reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prize consists only of items expressly specified in these Official Rules. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of the prize or any component thereof that are not expressly listed in these Official Rules are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
5. GRANT OF RIGHTS: By entering, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that NYTVF shall have the exclusive, irrevocable, and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted script for judging purposes and otherwise solely in connection with the execution of the Contest; and such further rights as set forth in the Development Agreement, if and when applicable. Each entrant agrees not to exhibit, disseminate, produce or broadcast, or authorize any third party to exhibit, disseminate, produce or broadcast, in any manner, media, or format, the script submitted as part of his or her entry (or portions thereof), for a period of one (1) month following the conclusion of the Contest, currently on or about October 27, 2012. Some or all of the entrants whose entries are chosen may be required to participate in a reasonable number of customary promotional and publicity activities (including public appearances, press junkets, interviews, and the like) to promote The New York Television Festival and the Contest.
6. ENTRANT REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND INDEMNIFICATION: By entering, each entrant represents and warrants to the NYTVF that his/her entry is (i) completely the original work of the entrant and was written solely by the entrant, (ii) not copied from any other source or previously broadcast or otherwise distributed or disseminated in any media or format, (iii) not in the public domain, and (iv) not in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity. If the NYTVF, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry contains any material that may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, or that the use or broadcast or such entry in the manner described herein may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, then the NYTVF may immediately disqualify such entry and take any other measures the NYTVF may deem appropriate. Entries should not include any language or other content that is indecent, inappropriate, morally objectionable or otherwise unfit for dissemination or broadcast, as determined by the NYTVF in its discretion. The NYTVF hereby reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any such entries. Entries not meeting stated length requirements will be disqualified. Entries not satisfying these Official Rules in any respect will be disqualified. Each entrant further agrees to sign, and to obtain (at the entrant’s expense) from all necessary third parties, all releases, permissions and other written documents, in a form acceptable to NYTVF, as may be required by the NYTVF and any of its affiliates or sponsors upon request so as to confirm, record and/or perfect their rights in the entry as set forth herein and in the FOX Development Agreement.
7. RELEASE OF CLAIMS: Each entrant acknowledges that the NYTVF and FOX and each of their parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities, network affiliates, and each of their employees, officers, directors, licensees, assigns and sponsors (collectively the “Designated Entities”) engage and have engaged in the developing, writing, acquiring, producing, publishing, disseminating and broadcasting of literary, artistic, and other material, including stories, ideas, themes, plots, titles, screenplays, teleplays, treatments, formats, and concepts (collectively, the “Materials”). By submitting an entry in the Contest, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that any Materials that the Designated Entities may hereinafter use or exploit may have originated with the Designated Entities themselves or may have been acquired from the Designated Entities’ employees or other parties, and that such Materials may duplicate, parallel or resemble the script submitted in the Contest by the entrant. By submitting an entry, each entrant acknowledges that he or she understands and agrees that the Designated Entities’ use of Materials containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in their entry shall not entitle the entrant to any compensation whatsoever. As an inducement to NYTVF to accept the entrant’s entry into the Contest, each entrant hereby waives any claim or right of action against any of the Designated Entities or their successors in connection with the Designated Entities’ use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements similar or identical to those contained in an entrant’s entry. Finally, each entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by entrant relating to or arising out of a Designated Entities actual or alleged exploitation or use of any entry or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of the entry or any other production based on or allegedly based on the entry, and the entrant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
8. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS: By submitting an entry, entrants agree to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless NYTVF and FOX, and their parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest, including without limitation (a) claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize and (b) claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright and/or trademark infringement relating to the submission or exploitation of the entrant’s script. By entering the Contest all entrants grant permission to the NYTVF to use their respective names, photographs, likenesses, voices, and/or biographical information for NYTVF programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval unless prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. NYTVF reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and/or to cancel, modify or suspend this Contest should entrant fraud or misconduct or other causes beyond the control of the NYTVF corrupt the administration, integrity, security or proper operation of the Contest. Without limitation of the foregoing, the NYTVF reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any of the following reasons: act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; the recapture of any time period scheduled for the live telecast of a program for an event of national importance or emergency; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available for production or broadcast; or other cause beyond its control. By entering, each entrant agrees that should this Contest be terminated for any reason such entrant irrevocably waives any right to seek and/or obtain rescission and/or equitable and/or injunctive relief. NYTVF is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, misdelivered, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of entries, including without limitation any malfunctions or failures of computer hardware, computer software, networks or telephone equipment or any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. NYTVF’s clock will be the official time clock for the Contest. Caution: Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, NYTVF reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the law. NYTVF is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
9. DISPUTES: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Contest, or the rights and obligations of entrants and the Designated Entities in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York. In the event of a claim or dispute, entrants’ sole remedy shall be limited to their remedy at law for damages, if any, and entrants shall not have the right to in any way enjoin or restrain the distribution, advertising, publicizing or other exploitation (in any form of media) of the Contest Website, the Contest, and/or any intellectual property owned or licensed by the Designated Entities or their respective parent companies and affiliated entities.
11. WINNER/OFFICIAL RULES: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s List or a copy of these Official Rules, send your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to
The 2012 FOX-NYTVF Comedy Script Contest
New York Television Festival
Attn: Script Contest Winners
121 West 27th St. Suite 901
New York, NY 10001
Requests for the names of the Grand Prize Winner must be received no later than December 1, 2012. Vermont residents may omit return postage.
Questions: For additional information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org