NYTVF AND JUST FOR LAUGHS ANNOUNCE FIVE FINALISTS AND JUDGES PANEL FOR SECOND ANNUAL PITCH INITIATIVE
Finalists to pitch live to a panel of experts during the JFL Comedy Conference in Montreal
The NYTVF joins Just for Laughs in congratulating the five finalists selected in the second annual “Set to Screen” TV Comedy Search:
- Andy Bush, “Cavendish”
- Hillary Graham, “Bad Mommies”
- Mark Little, “Tiger Patrol”
- Britt Sanborn, “How To Succeed At Birth”
- C.J. Toledano, “Kuang Banks”
Each creator will have the opportunity to pitch their project live during the JFL Comedy Conference on July 26, 2013 in Montreal. The winner of the pitch competition will be invited to participate as an Official Artist at the 2013 NYTVF and have the opportunity to promote their winning concept to the Industry Partners that attend the Festival. Joining NYTVF Founder Terence Gray as judges for the Montreal event are:
- Marcus Wiley – Senior Vice President, Comedy Development, FOX Broadcasting Company
- Dan Pasternack – Vice President, Development and Production, IFC
- Walter J. Newman – Director of Program Development, Adult Swim and Cartoon Network
- Rachel Goldstein-Couto – Director of Specialty Programming, Comedy and Drama, Bell Media
- Christine Wilson – Executive Director, Content, CBC
Thank you to all who submitted, and congratulations to the finalists. We'll see you in Montreal!
A TV Comedy Pitch Initiative for Comedy Performers
Presented by Just for Laughs and the New York Television Festival
Just for Laughs and the NYTVF are looking for hilarious new TV comedy ideas (and the masterminds behind them) to compete in the second-annual joint initiative slated for the Just for Laughs Comedy Conference in Montreal, July 25-27. Five finalists will be selected to pitch live during the event before a panel of comedy experts with one winner selected for exclusive showcase opportunities and participation at the 2013 New York Television Festival in October.
What are we looking for?
Some of the world's most beloved TV shows stemmed from comedy performers with a strong story and point of view that uniquely translated to the small screen. From The Cosby Show and Seinfeld , Everybody Loves Raymond and Louie, Saturday Night Live and The Daily Show – a substantial swath of television history has been paved by comedians and we're looking for the next big thing. Submissions should be based on or inspired by stories, sketches or characters developed by stand up comics and their writing partners, improv groups, sketch comedy teams and TV comedy writers working with performance-based formats. Single-camera or multi-camera concepts are welcome as well as animated, game shows, and non-scripted formats. We're looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
How do you submit?
Submission packets can be uploaded to Just For Laughs upload page and should include the following:
- Series treatment that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode that provides an overview of series progression and a segment breakdown. Not to exceed five (5) pages
- Video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes or short pilot episode. Submitted video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
- Episode summaries (brief) for four (4) additional episodes following the pilot. Not to exceed two (2) pages TOTAL for all summaries
- Professional CV or summary
- $40.00 submission fee
- Full rules and submission requirements can be found at http://comedypro.hahaha.com/pitch-your-project/
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE JUST FOR LAUGHS SITE.
NYTVF WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY SUBMISSIONS.
ALL ENTRIES ARE DUE BY
MAY 10, 2013 MAY 17, 2013
Are teams or groups allowed to submit?
Absolutely! Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece. If you're a performer without a producing partner, this is still an opportunity for you, as long as you have a great idea and can complete the submission requirements outlined above.
What does it mean if I'm selected as a finalist?
Five (5) projects will be selected as finalists and invited to present their pitches during a live event at the Just for Laughs Comedy Conference in Montreal, July 25 - 27. Each finalist will receive a pass to attend the conference, courtesy of Just for Laughs. One winner will selected during the event and invited to participate as an Official Artist in the New York Television Festival, October 21 – 26. All finalists and the winner will retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
What does “Official Artist” designation at the 2013 NYTVF provide?
The winning pitch and its creator(s) will be invited to the 2013 New York Television Festival to participate as an Official Artist and will enjoy exclusive benefits of NYTVF Connect that are only extended to selected artists. Throughout the week of the Festival there are hundreds of meetings and events – available ONLY to Official Artists – coordinated by the Festival to facilitate meetings, deal making and connections.
NYTVF Connect is the Festival's comprehensive industry track serving artists and top-tier entertainment executives across the creative development spectrum. The program encompasses three unique opportunities that are each designed to maximize Festival participation for artists and executives, providing them with the tools to network, build relationships and collaborate on projects. Artists cannot purchase access to NYTVF Connect and are only eligible to participate if their work is selected to be featured at the Festival.
NYTVF CONNECT includes:
- EXECUTIVE ACCESSS provides Festival partners with early access to the independent content showcased at the Festival as well as concierge service to arrange meetings and pitches with projects and artists of interest. Executive Access culminates with hundreds of NYTVF-facilitated meetings during the annual Festival in October, yielding a streamlined interaction model.
The winning project from the JFL Pitch Event will be distributed to all NYTVF Industry Partners in the weeks leading up to the event.
- NYTVF PITCH is an exclusive development initiative hosted during the Festival allowing NYTVF Pitch Partners to solicit pitches from the class of Official Artists. Each Pitch Partner guarantees a development deal to be distributed out of the initiative. 2012 NYTVF Pitch Partners included Sundance Channel, truTV, Channel 4, BIO, Hasbro Studios and Logo.
- INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENT CHATS provide industry partners with informal platform to present their development and/or acquisition strategy to the Festival's Official Artists. These intimate discussions provide artists with unique access to decision-makers on the network, studio and agency level.