- A&E Network
Debbie Isaacs for her project “Win Court” (Las Vegas, NV)
Bill Herndon for his project “America's Next Big Franchise” (New York, NY)
Christian Campbell, America Olivo, and Annette Tanner for their project “Broadway Dreams” (New York, NY)
The NYTVF is pleased to announce the sixteen finalists in the A+E 360° Unscripted Pipeline, where A&E, HISTORY, and Lifetime invited unscripted producers to submit character-based sizzle tapes and series treatments for new unscripted show concepts. Each network will offer $5,000 and a potential development opportunity to a selected producer to be announced at the Festival in October.
Additionally, the finalists have the opportunity to participate in the 2015 New York Television Festival as Official Artists.
2015 A+E 360° Unscripted Pipeline Finalists:
America’s Next Big Franchise
Created by Bill Herndon – New York, NY
Created by Rich Penn and Eric Benson – Waterloo, IA
Created by Christian Campbell, America Olivo, and Annette Tanner – New York, NY
Chuck and Cory’s: Tandemonium
Created by Elena Sorre and Joanna Shaw – New York, NY and Los Angeles, CA
Crime Scene Cleanup
Created by Howard Nash and Robert Kwartler – New York, NY
Created by Colin Hogan and Shawn Bowers – Chicago, IL
Created by Renee Poole – Las Vegas, NV
Legal Battles Atlanta
Created by Steven B. Metcalf - Atlanta, GA
Life’s a Drag Show: The Truth Behind the Makeup
Created by Romanus Wolter and Samantha Sullivan – San Francisco, CA
Created by Michael “Supe" Granda, Kathy Bratkowski, and Aleta Harris – St. Louis, MO
The Mama Sagas
Created by Saralyn Ward – Denver, CO
Men of Drag 2.0
Created by David Cunningham – Mocksville, NC
Oliver Robins’ CURSED
Created by Jeremy Rubin and Oliver Robins – Los Angeles, CA
Rock Hard Revue
Created by Soreyrith Um – Orlando, FL
Created by Jake Loyd, Kelly Loyd, and Nathan Trucks – Weehawken, NJ
Created by Debbie Isaacs – Las Vegas, NV
Congratulations to all the finalists, and thank you to everyone who submitted!
A&E, HISTORY, and Lifetime are returning to the 2015 New York Television Festival in search of new, bold, unscripted show concepts and out-of-this-world characters.
The A+E Networks 360° Unscripted Development Pipeline is seeking character tapes and sizzle reels from independent producers and production companies, with each network offering at least one producer a potential development deal to further develop their concept with the corresponding network.
Submitting producers can review creative briefs from A&E, HISTORY, and Lifetime for additional information and creative guidelines.
A screening committee of NYTVF officials will narrow the pool of entrants down to a selection of finalists for review by the participating networks, who will identify projects of interest for meetings during the 2015 New York Television Festival. Each network will select one winner to receive $5,000 and the opportunity to further develop their concept at A+E Networks.
All finalists in the 360° Unscripted Development Pipeline will receive designation as 2015 NYTVF Official Artists and an exclusive invitation to participate in the 11th annual New York Television Festival, held in NYC in October.
This competition is FREE to enter.
DOWNLOAD THE ENTRY PACKET HERE.
Questions? Ask the NYTVF.
Use the links below to explore the various aspects of submitting to the 360 Unscripted Pipeline.
- Surprising Sororities: Ideas and characters that take the traditional (now very tired) female-ensemble format and turn it on its head. It needs to have a surprising organizing principal and a clear hook. Simply a group of friends, sisters, etc. are not going to work anymore. Examples: Little Women: LA, Little Women: NY
- Exceptional Kids: This is a reality sub-genre that Lifetime basically created with Dance Moms, and we want to continue our ownership by expanding the category with new shows that explore the ups and downs (for the parents as much as the kids) of having a very precocious child. Examples: Dance Moms, Bring It!, Child Genius, Sing It!
- Formats: Whether these are standalone formats ala Wife Swap or character based, we are very eager to find the right fit in this space. In this current climate it feels like character centered formats will likely have a better shot at survival since it gives people something to latch on to. Example: Living with the Enemy
- Rescue Me: This takes the traditional makeover format and gives it a fresh twist. Our new series, Atlanta Plastic, takes the pre-existing plastic surgery format but gives you a new entry point with African American doctors and patients.
- Extreme Families: These are families that are “just like us” but have something unique and surprising that make them anything but normal. They need to be in a distinctive world, have big characters and something extra that makes them different while still being relatable. Example: Terra’s Little Family
From the hilarious antics of "Duck Dynasty" and "Country Bucks" to the gritty tension of "The First 48" and the entrepreneurial strategy and family hijinks of "Wahlburgers," A&E is the destination for real, character driven stories. Our mission is to find innovative nonfiction programming with the elements our viewers come to expect --- high stakes, authentic, unexpected.
For this initiative, we want you to introduce us to a world that is original, new, and full of life. Don't merely show us the great characters that you uncover, but take us into their lives. What makes this concept fresh, and appealing? How are your characters connected and in what ways do they interact? Also, don't feel pressured to merely look at concepts that are similar to what is on our air now − after all, we already have it! A&E has long been a home for outstanding television, and we think you might be able to uncover the next big thing.
About A&E: Now reaching more than 96 million homes, A&E is the home to quality original content that inspires and challenges audiences to BE ORIGINAL. A&E offers a diverse mix of uniquely immersive entertainment ranging from the network’s original scripted series, including “Bates Motel” and “Damien” to signature non-fiction franchises, including “Duck Dynasty,” “Wahlburgers” and “Storage Wars.”
HISTORY is the leading destination for award-winning original series and specials that connect viewers with history in an informative, immersive, and entertaining manner. As a leader, we must be BIG, NEW and RELEVANT with our hit programming. The purpose of this NYTVF initiative is to introduce HISTORY to the next generation of emerging producers and storytellers who have found larger-than-life male characters in exciting aspirational worlds. These characters should be bold, unique and credible experts who are surrounded by a rich world and can show their expertise through interesting process. Make sure the audience can come away with great takeaway information that provides a new surprising look at History. We've done it before with shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, and Ancient Aliens. What's next?
Lifetime is the #1 destination for fun, surprising and diverse female unscripted shows. From Bring it! to Dance Moms and Little Women, we make shows with unforgettable characters that are well-produced, ground-breaking and entertaining.
We know that for a new Lifetime show to succeed, it helps to have four essential ingredients: it's set in a surprising space or has a surprising character; it has heart, humor AND edge; it often has a heroine who is smart, sassy and loud; and most importantly it’s able to generate enough noise to break through the clutter of the crowded female space.
Use the following as guidelines only. If there is a show you think we should look at but doesn't fit here, pitch it anyway. We appreciate that and more often the ideas "that are not right for Lifetime" or that you're pitching elsewhere are the ones that we respond to most. We've seen it all and nothing scares us. Don't worry about making us feel uncomfortable or shy away from something a little controversial. Those are usually the ideas that have a shot at being a hit. We like to take big swings.
If you're submitting a casting reel it should showcase your lead character, any supporting cast and include a clear, concise description of what they do and why people will want to come back week after week to watch them. We are looking for worlds and characters that can sustain a series, not simply a "one off."
Technical and production savvy is helpful by not required - the most important element is capturing the "wow" factor in your subject(s) - even if it's by Skype chat.
While we are open to new and surprising ideas, there are some sub-genres that we aren't interested in - LAW ENFORCEMENT, TOUCHY-FEELY SPIRITUAL HEALERS, BURLESQUE, "FRINGE" SIDE SHOW CHARACTERS, "WOMEN IN MAN'S WORLD," BIKERS. GHOST HUNTERS, WEDDINGS, LIFE COACHES, THERAPISTS, BAKING, “DO-GOODERS.”
About Lifetime Unscripted:
Lifetime is the premier female-focused network with one television’s largest slates of original programming, including a critically-acclaimed portfolio of movies, hit scripted series and best-in-class reality programs. Leading Lifetime's unscripted slate is its hit Little Women franchise, including Little Women: LA, Little Women: NY and Little Women: Terra’s Little Family, Emmy® Award-nominated Project Runway, as well as Project Runway All Stars and all-new Project Runway Junior, the hit docusoaps Bring It! and Dance Moms, Child Genius and the upcoming program Sing It! (wt), among others. For more information on our company and programming, please visit Mylifetime.com.
- Finalists will receive designation as 2015 NYTVF Official Artists and an exclusive invitation to participate in the 11th annual New York Television Festival, held in NYC in October, 2015.
- Each participating network (A&E, HISTORY, and Lifetime) will guarantee a $5,000 development deal for one winning project
- Wednesday, July 15, 2015…………….Submission Period Begins
- Monday, August 17, 2015…………….Submission Period Ends
- Wednesday, August 26, 2015…………….Finalists Announced
- Monday, October 19 – Saturday, October 24…………….2015 New York Television Festival
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older and legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia
- Entries must be:
- Completely the original work of the entrant
- Not created or funded by broadcast networks, cable networks or major production studios
- Not copied from any other source or previously broadcast or otherwise distributed or disseminated on television
- Not in the public domain
- Not in violation of or conflict with the trademark, copyright, rights of privacy, rights of publicity or any other rights, of any kind or nature, of any other person or entity
- Submissions must be received by NOON Eastern on August 17, 2015.
- One (1) to two (2) page treatment describing the unscripted format, which must be submitted as both a hardcopy and as a PDF file type on a CD-ROM
- Video: submitted on both playable DVDs and as a compressed video file (mp4 preferred).
- Playable DVDS: Five (5) copies of the Sizzle Reel with label of Producer, Director and/or Production Company and contact information
- Compressed video file: One (1) copy of the Sizzle Reel saved as a compressed/ QuickTime file on a data DVD (MP4 with H.264 or MOV preferred. Recommended output minimum 640w x 348h pixels, or under 200MB)
- All videos must have a total running time of between 2 and 4 minutes
- One screen capture image or digital still from the program on CD or DVD (may be on same disc as compressed video file)
- Signed Application Form
- There is no fee to enter
All submissions, accompanied by a signed Application Form, must be sent to:
360 Unscripted Development Pipeline c/o New York Television Festival
121 W 27th St., Suite 901
New York, NY 10001